Tuesday 14 November 2017

Piston assembly part 1 - trained seals

So, I have been wondering about seals.

Image

Ok, not that kind. I've been thinking about the seal setup for the aurora and comparing it with some other solutions. The aurora uses two different W and V seals that are currently made by Faema.


Cafelat make a nice silicon version of the V seal, but I guess there isn't enough demand for the W. I am not worried about being able to find parts (there are plenty, plenty machines out there that need the W seal). But I was fooling around with a Flair, a completely manual lever, and it set me wondering: why this seal setup in the first place? What advantage, if any, is there of this type of seal over the much more common o-ring? After all, o-rings are completely ubiquitous in hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders with pressures a least a couple of orders of magnitude greater than the ten bar range.

This is a setup from a smaller-bored lever, I don't remember which.


No comments:

Post a Comment