Sunday 23 October 2016

Boiler part 6 - BSPP plugs

Before I can pressure test the boiler I need to plug all of the holes!
I ordered a couple of cheapee G-thread dies a couple of months ago, but didn't consider the problem of holding them. They are, very conveniently, different diameters. So I decided that it was finally time to build a die holding system for the lathe. A mild steel handle, some 2" OD aluminum tubing, an acetal hub with a stainless shank and, in the case of the larger diameter die, a 6061 aluminum adaptor.

























Once done, cranking out the 1/4 and 3/8 plugs in acetal was a snap. Then I dropped them into the milling machine to cut some shoulders for wrenching. I love working with acetal - you can almost form it by staring at it hard.   


No comments:

Post a Comment