Saturday 3 March 2018

Shakerato II - revenge of the tumbler - part 1

Last time I was fortunate enough to be in Rome, I came across the Shakerato, which, ten commandments notwithstanding, I covet. So of course, I decided I had to make one! Sort of. Read on MacDuff to know more.

Starting with a hockey-puck-sized piece of Acetal, I cut out an internal bore to fit a bearing.



 (Of course, said bearing is a surplus part from a grinder restoration).



I add a triple of counter-bored holes to accommodate some machine screws.





It just so happens that I have a whole stack of roughly 10" square plates of 1/4" mild steel gathering rust on a shelf that fit the bill for the next parts. I clamp two of the plates together with a pair of teeny Kant clamps so that I can drill both plates at once and maintain their alignment when changing the setup. (Note the block of wood at the back of vise which crushes and grips the slightly different plate widths. The block is actually on the wrong vise jaw - it should be on the movable one at the bottom so that the plates are always positioned the same with respect to the fixed jaw datum - it was moved after the photo was taken.)


Power tapping the pair of holes at the corners with a 1/4-20 spiral tap (interestingly, (depending on you point of view of course) as aside to this aside, I have it on good authority that of all nuts and bolts, the 1" 1/4-20 socket head cap screw is the best selling).



Some larger clearing holes for some 1/2" bolts.



With the plate firmly clamped to the table of the drill press, I cut a hole in the middle one of the plates. The hole saw is really good at grabbing the work piece and spinning it around - this, we do not want - thus the clamps.



Then the plate goes into the four jaw chuck on the lathe to enlarge significantly, 'cause I changed my mind / didn't measure properly the first time. This is just about the largest thing I can work on with this machine - there is about 1/4" of clearance between the corners of the plate and the bed of the lathe.



Now the purpose of all those holes will become clear. Short 1/4-20 machine screws (torqued down with red (permanent) Loctite (mmmh - as I believe I've mentioned elsewhere - I don't know what they put in this stuff, but it sure smells like it is cherry flavored1)) in the exterior holes act as positioning studs for some sturdy flat-ground springs. The middle set of 1/4-20 holes have a split washer under a regular washer that just engages the last coil of its spring. And the set of four large un-tapped holes are for bolting the lower plate onto....


... a HUGE (ok, not huge, but it's still 1 horse power so I'm gonna call it laaaarge) motor. 



Cue appropriately themed music:



Part 2

1 Gotta try it with ice cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment