Monday 17 July 2017

Shakerato

Over the last six weeks I have been making some progress plugging away at the firmware for the controller. As anticipated, the code for the human interface is both more complicated and voluminous than the code required to control the actual machine itself. I've got proof of concepts done for both halves of the code (i.e. the menu system and the state machine) and now I'm working on putting them together. 

I'm also waiting to get the first batch of sheet metal in. I went through about ten suppliers before I found one that had the required tooling, was willing to do the prototyping and make a small run. I should have some pictures in a few days. I finished up the package of cad drawings during a trip to Italy where I had some great (and some not so great) coffee. The best was, of all places, in terminal 3 at Rome Airport at a generic chain café. That is one of the things I love about Italy - the last time I was there the best coffee I had was in a gas station by the side of the highway - great coffee is normal. While I was in Rome, I made the trip to Caffè Sant Eustachio. 




This place is great. They have a two-page(!) menu of bizarre coffee drinks any one of which would be enough to draw the crowds. Their signature is Il Gran Caffè (speciale). They make it behind a privacy screen to stop you seeing how they do it (nor will they tell you if you ask ;)). I believe the technique comes from Naples where they take the crema from the start of the pull and whip it up with sugar before putting it back on the rest of the espresso. The result is an inch of sweet, creamy crema mouse on top of a great espresso. That, along with a pastry from the counter opposite the bar and you are totally set for sugar for the day.

The star at the bar, however, is the "Shakerato" which is made in what has to be the most hilarious machine I've seen in a while:



Iced coffee and milk go in a cocktail shaker that sits in the stainless steel receiver. Then the machine shakes the crap out of it for two or three minutes. And it's orange. What can I say? I want one!







Shakerato II - revenge of the tumbler

No comments:

Post a Comment