Tuesday 16 May 2017

Controller part 4 - dweenos and sensors and proper LRFs

I've spent the last couple of days getting my head into code and hooking sensors to arduinos. This is a setup that controls a reflow oven lent to me - along with the code - by a friend.




I'll report back when I have something to show...

In the meanwhile, I had a go at some proper LRFs (little rubber feet).
I've come to the conclusion that plastic is, well, too plastic. Good coffee is a luxury that merits the use of premium materials.
In that spirit, I broke out the king of woods, the champion of the rainforest: mahogany.
I generally try to avoid working too much wood in the shop because of the mess. So much dust... For the same reason, I have not purchased a jointer or planer. So, a ripping blade in the table saw will have to do.

























After a change the blade to do the cross cuts.

























A 1/8" round-over in the router to finish 8 of the 12 edges.















































Then it is into the milling machine with a vacuum cleaner running to keep the dust from getting anywhere it shouldn't.

























Flip the block and drill a blind hole. For now, as this wood is hard enough to hold a bolt intended for metal, that is what I will use. Ultimately, I will likely anchor some threaded rod in with epoxy and use a nut. 




Cut and glue on some rubber pads to provide the necessary friction.

























Then. having previously sanded them to take off the burn marks from the table saw and router the blocks can be finished with some tung oil.

























...damn. Forgot to take a picture of them installed. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment