Friday 18 August 2017

Controller part 7 - proto case

Ok, I've been lax with the my posts and a few weeks have gone by. However, even though we are experiencing our brief period of non-inclement weather we refer to as 'summer', I have not been entirely idle.




I ordered a bunch of electronic parts for the controller box.



Including these LEDs from Bivar, which came in a fancy box and are somehow suggestive of marriage proposals.



(With this LED, I thee wed?)




I've not done enough PCB design work to be confident enough to order a board without building a prototype first. Normally I would just test the circuit on bread board, but this one has to handle AC distribution, so I decided to put one together on proto-board. After a lot of faffing around in Eagle CAD (candidate for the world's most un-intuitive CAD package) and time spent dragging the net for 3D models of the components, I settled on an enclosure size and cut the blank board to size. 



A first go at the layout of the lower and upper levels. AC-DC supply, 5V relay and opto-isolator board.



The Arduino fits over the top. 



And the LCD and keypad shield sit on top.




The models of the keypad shield PCB that I found on the internet don't quite match the one that I have. This meant that I spent a looooong time measuring the layout with calipers to figure out where the holes have to be cut in the enclosure box. This will be easier next time as I will design my own shield.

Four hours of setup for two minutes of cutting? Too late now if I got this wrong!





Thankfully, it fits.



The button hole cut-outs are a little on the large size. I think that the CAD model I used must be incorrect. Still, more than good enough for the prototype.

No comments:

Post a Comment