Thursday 25 February 2016

Building a lever machine... from scratch

One particularly cold February morning, I got up to discover that the auto-fill circuit on my Brugnetti Aurora had failed. As I opened up the Gicar controller a few days-without-proper-morning-coffee later to figure out what was wrong (an old and faded capacitor), I realized that I had now either fixed or maintained every system on the machine except the lever group. So I took that apart too and replaced the spring and the gaskets. As I was putting it back together I started wondering about what it would take, given that the original Brugnetti company no longer exists, to make more of these fantastic machines.





















A few days ago, after nearly three months of research, drawing, discussion and negotiation, I received these photos:






... a wax positive of the group body which, over the next few days, is going to be encased in plaster and replaced with molten brass.

The photos are also a sign, at least to me, that this project is now well and truly underway and that it is time to share it with the generous people on this forum, whose advice I have greatly benefited from since my obsession with coffee began. I am a long, long way from a working machine, but you have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment